Birks has been one of the longest standing businesses on 21st Street having opened their store at this location in 1929. Designed by Montreal based architectural firm Nobbs & Hyde, the exterior and the interior of the Birks store has changed very little in the intervening years. The building cost Birks more than a quarter of a million dollars to build, but was considered “the last word in fireproof construction”.
The Dowding Building was originally built in 1914 as the Bank of Nova Scotia, subsequently housed Wheaton Electric for 28 years, and Dowding’s Florists since 1960 The building, built to a simple, handsome classical design, retains the top two floors from 1914. The main floor has been changed from a banking to a commercial front. It currently houses Bateman Jewellers and is an important landmark on the 200 block of 2nd Avenue.
Three-storey brick warehouse built in 1928 by the Saskatoon Cartage and Warehouse Company. It was designed by Saskatoon architect David Webster and built by the A.W. Cassidy Co. Ltd. It was sold to MacCosham Storage and Distribution in 1945 and used until it was again sold in 1978.
Since then it has been used by the City of Saskatoon for its central purchasing department. It was named after Arthur E. Cook, longtime keeper of city stores from 1921-1952.
In 2009, requests for proposal to sell the building and convert into commercial space went out. In 2010, the city indicated it favoured a bid by North Ridge Developments, beating out proposals from Shift Development and MidWest Developments. By 2011, the building was being renovated and was already fully leased by a single tenant, Stuart Olson Dominion Construction.
Originally known as the MacMillan Department Store, the structure on the south-east corner of the intersection was designed by Winnpeg architect William Fingland and built in 1912 by Saskatoon’s future mayor, Frank R. MacMillan. In 1927, the T. Eaton Company purchased the business, but not the building, as it was ready to open its own store directly across the street. MacMillan’s store was the single largest department store in the city at that time. After selling the business to Eaton’s, MacMillan extensively remodeled his building, inside and out, to convert it to office space, and renamed it the Avenue Building.
It featured expansive atriums with elaborate tilework, some of which exists today. It is now home to a variety of businesses and organizations. It even became a movie set, portraying a police station, in the movie “Murder Seen“.
It is home to Elwood Flynn, Smoke’s Poutinerie, Urban Systems among others.
A busker plays the saxophone O’Brians Automotive Event Centre. Original Theatre built in 1913 and opened as Victoria Theatre. From 1930-1965 it became the Tivoli Theatre. In 1965 it was modernized and opened as the Odeon Theatre. In 1992 the name changed to the Paradise Theatre and by 2009 the theatre was extensively renovated and became part of O’Brien’s Event Centre along with the Royal Bank building next to it.
Records aren’t clear but it was designed by Thompson, Daniel and Colthurst.
The McKercher LLP office in Saskatoon.
Built for original owner, Allan Bowerman, a real estate entrepreneur, postmaster and member of town council. Large terra cotta bison heads flank the main doorway and beavers with maple branches decorate the roofline.. Originally planned for as a four storey office building in 1912, optimistic financial times resulted in the erection of an eight storey building. It was once touted as the tallest office building in Canada west of Winnipeg.
Designed by James Chisolm & Son out of Winnipeg and built over 1911-1912 by general contractor Carlinger-Halls Aldinger for Allan Bowerman of Saskatoon. It was Chisolm’s only building in Saskatoon but it’s a great one and is one of landmarks that define downtown Saskatoon.
Built in 1929, it is home of the 302 Lounge & Discotecque and Rain Nightclub in the downtown Saskatoon warehouse district.
St. Tropez Bistro is a famous French and Cajun influenced meals in a comfortable, intimate space.
The two-storey Hanson Building originally housed the Bank of Nova Scotia soon after the bank opened its first branch in Saskatoon in 1906. At that time, according to one account, the first bank manager, A. Mooney, had to live in a tent due to the shortage of affordable accommodation. The bank rented the space from A.H. Hanson, a prominent early realtor, and subsequently purchased the building in 1910. The branch later moved to the adjoining building.
While Jordon was talking to the Mayor’s Project, I wandered around downtown and snapped some shots. of the Federal Building which was designed by Thomas W. Fuller. It was built in 1931.
Designed by Gentil J.K. Verbeke, the St. Paul’s Hospital Nurses Residence (now C-Wing of St. Paul’s Hospital) was opened in November, 1931. It offered modern accommodation to students, larger classrooms, offices for the expanded teaching staff, an auditorium, reception areas, as well as kitchenettes, and, in keeping with the values of St. Pauls, a chapel. Music was encouraged. School colors (garnet and gold), a School Motto (“In Minimus Perfectio” – Be Ye Perfect Even in Little Things), a Coat of Arms and a School song became part of the unique history and tradition.
The great depression, the Second World War, the polio epidemic and changes in educational policies all affected the School of Nursing. In 1938, the University of Saskatchewan approved St. Paul’s Hospital School of Nursing as a teaching Affiliate until University Hospital opened in 1955. A new St. Paul’s Hospital was built in 1963 which offered a variety of advanced learning opportunities for students. Changes in society and the world as a whole were obvious in hours of work, different uniforms and increased opportunities for students and graduate nurses.
In February 1969 the doors closed behind the last class of students.
Our Lady of Lourdes Parish in Saskatoon. It was a church plant of St. Joseph’s Church. On September 16, 1963, Our Lady of Lourdes Chapel and Auditorium officially opened and was blessed by Bishop Francis J. Klein. The architects were Webster, Forrester, & Scott. The chapel seats approximately 300 people and has doors that open up into the Bishop Murray High School gymnasium. The parish and the school share the gymnasium and a fully equipped kitchen area.
The Great Canadian Oil Change on 8th Street in Saskatoon. One of the more interesting buildings to be constructed on 8th Street in years.